Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2010

Saturday, 1 May 2010 - Nightmare at JFK International Airport, New York


After more than an eight-hour smooth and easy flight from Zurich to New York we safely landed at JFK. I was totally excited because it was my very first time that I entered the USA. Too bad we didn't have more time to go sightseeing in NYC. I don't want to complain, because it felt good anyway to finally be in the 'land of endless opportunities'.

We had to go through customs. The officer was really serious and thoroughly checked all of my documents: the passport, the Visa and the I-20. I had to give my fingerprints and my eyes were scanned. I was a little bit nervous but at the end everything was fine. Some of my classmates had to wait and wait and wait until they finally entered the US. We had to get our luggage and continue to the check-in desk because our final destination was San Diego in California.

Then I had a brilliant idea. To make sure that I did not lose my travel documents, I put all of them into my suitcase: flight ticket, passport with the Visa, the I-20, and, being an Italian citizen, the residence permit for Switzerland (= Ausländerausweis). I was proud that I didn't have to carry around anything anymore.

After the check-in we had to go through security again. Our teacher, Mr. Hediger, was behind me. I looked at him and wondered why he had his passport and his flight ticket in his hand. Then the security officer called me. I went to him but I did not understand what he wanted. Fortunately, Mr. Hediger came and helped me. When I learned that I have to show my passport and my flight ticket I knew that I was in big trouble.

Mr. Hediger and I had to walk all the way across Terminal 1 at JFK to some agent. It's about half a mile and it took us quite some time to get there. Mr. Hediger described my 'problem'. The agent was listening and then asked me for 'any kind of ID-documents'. But I didn't have one. All of my ID-documents were in the suitcase which I checked-in a little while ago. He said that without any ID-documents I could not continue my journey. Great!

Mr. Hediger showed him all of his documents where my name was listed several times. But since a written paper without picture doesn't prove anything she refused to let me pass. Mr. Hediger insisted to speak to a supervisor. After some time a big tall guy arrived. He asked me how old I am. Luckily, I was only 15, a minor. Minors are not aloud to travel on their own. So he couldn't send me back to Switzerland. He then told me that I should go back the security officer, pay 30 Dollars for an extra ticket and everything would be fine and I could go through security. Was I ever lucky and happy at the same time! But Mr. Hediger was not conviced at all that everything was fine. He actually didn't believe the supervisor. But I did...

We went all the way back to the security officer. He looked at me and asked for the flight ticket. But of course I didn't have one. He got angry and said that he wouldn't care about what the supervisor has told me since it was him who was in charge of this security gate. Without any kind of ID-prove he would not let me pass. Basta! Mr. Hediger tried hard but there was no way that this man would let me pass the gate. After some minutes of discussions we had to return to the supervisor. For the third time the two of us went across Terminal 1 - half a mile again.

Of course the supervisor was gone and nobody was there who seemed to be in charge. Mr. Hediger spoke to several agents but no one could help. After an eternity and endless discussions, Mr. Hediger was able to convince a nice elderly woman and she had pitty with me and printed a replacement flight ticket free of charge. What a nice lady!

Another half mile later we met the same security officer for the third time. He looked at Mr. Hediger and at me with a grimm face. Mr. Hediger smirked at him and showed him my brand new flight ticket. The agent was surprised but let me pass. Finally, I was together again with all my other classmates who had to wait for a full hour. I was so glad and relieved that everything was fine now.

Without any other delay we got in the plane on time and after six and a half more hours we safely landed in San Diego.

If you want to follow my story, read Remo K's blog. It's big time!

Salvatore Viola, Talentklasse 3, Ibach

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen